Friday, June 10, 2011

Fishing with Dad

Last Friday, I finally got to go fishing with my dad.  We didn't take any pictures, so this one of the last time I was fishing will have to do.



Yeah it's been awhile.

Since then my dad had promised to take my fishing in the future.  Well, the future finally came and we went out to Lake Frederick on free fishing weekend.  I've always thought of fishing as a crack-of-dawn kind of sport, but apparently the boat rentals didn't start until 9AM.  When we got to the lake we wandered around for a bit and then practiced casting our lines from the shore.  

My fishing pole, by the way, was PINK.  It was a Lady Pink.  Dad's was orange and called a Ugly Stick.  Ha!

Dad promptly caught a rock.  I almost hooked Dad.  

Once we got our metal boat with a cute little electric motor, we set sail and started trolling.  It was a beautiful day - about 80º on the lake.  I didn't realize my line just kept unreeling, but surprisingly hooked something within minutes!  And it wiggled, so we think it was a fish.  By the time I'd reeled it in, it was gone - and it had eaten my lure!  

The next line I cast was baited with a live worm and I promptly caught a blue-gilled sunfish about the size of my hand.  I CAUGHT A FISH!  Because it was so small, we decided to through it back and keep trying for a large mouth bass.  

Throughout the day we alternated between trolling and just sitting with our poles in the water.  We saw bass twice but weren't able to hook any.  I did hook enough pieces of tree that if put together could have made a decent sized Christmas Tree.  Dad hooked another rock.  Our anchor hooked a tree stump under water. And the coup de resistance, I hooked the electric motor.

Dad has the patience of a saint - he unraveled the line each time.

It was a truly peaceful day.  We chatted a lot with dad telling me stories of his fishing at Strawberry Reservoir in his youth and various other sundry topics.  We were there about 6 hours and it felt like less than two.  I definitely want to go again.  It's my goal to catch, clean, cook and consume a fish.  Just one of my preparations for the potential upcoming zombie apocalypse! (MUHAHA)  (That felt like an evil laugh might be needed.)

1 comment:

  1. What a memorable day you had! It brought back memories of me fishing with my dad when I was little. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete