Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Goodbye Duke

I only got to know Duke for a week as my foster, but he was a very sweet dog. He came to me from the kennel due to injuring himself from his high anxiety. He got along well with my dog Molly so he came and was constantly with me for the last 8 days. He was on a lot of medication due to infections that we thought might be causing him to not eat, but we found out today it was due to kidney failure and made the tough decision to let him go to a place with no more pain. He knew it was right thing to do, asked for me to rub his belly one last time and then passed quietly in my arms. Duke was an excellent rider in the car, and he and Molly enjoyed jockeying for position. Duke found a way to rest his head right between mine and the headrest. He loved being close to people. Even when not feeling well, he always came running barking to the door and was excited to see new people. He made sure to sleep on every bed in the house at least once. My neighbors told me how fun it was to watch him and Molly sun themselves on the balcony. Duke put up very well with having so much medication put in his throat (as he wouldn't eat) and we eventually made a game of it with him getting towel face rubs as a reward for each pill. He rewarded me with loving eyes. Thanks so much to Kristen Hill and Susan Hughes for being available for all the vet calls and transporting. Goodbye Duke. Know you were loved. Kristen & Molly


2 comments: